If you are trying to save money, savings can often be found in unexpected places.
Do you buy a coffee each morning before work? Do you buy two takeaway coffees each day? Have you ever stopped to think how much it costs your over the entire year?
Recently, I fell into the bad habit of a buying a coffee on the way to work each morning. It started off with a takeaway coffee once a week, then twice a week , then each day. The coffee expenses were soon adding up. I have now switched to just an occasional takeaway coffee from 7/11 that only costs $2. Most days I now use the free coffee provided in my office, sure the coffee isn’t barista quality but I am thinking of the savings.
Did you know that if you spend $5 each day on coffee x 5 days per week x 48 working weeks a year = $1,200 per year. Over the course of 5 years that is $6,000 spent on takeaway coffees!
I know some people who buy two coffee each day, that is $10 per day on coffee x 5 days per week x 48 working weeks a year = $2,400 per year. Over the course of 5 years that is $12,000 spent on takeaway coffees!
If you are like me and you cannot start the day without your morning coffee here are some tips to help you reduce your coffee expenses.
Tips to save money on takeaway coffee
- Use the coffee provided by your workplace = free coffee!
- Make a thermos of coffee each morning at home and take to work
- Buy good quality ground coffee and a plunger and make your own coffee each morning
- Swap to the cheapest takeaway coffee – in Australia 7/11 stores sell a small coffee for $1, medium for $2 and large for $3
- Limit your takeaway coffees so it is a treat
- Sign up for coffee loyalty cards and discount cards.